Monday, October 24, 2011

"Anyone who can walk to the welfare office can walk to work."

Or drive, which is what I'm doing this morning. Yes, I am going to work. Let us give praise and thanks to the god's of minimum wage. Which by the way, is higher now than it was when I bused tables at 14. Bonus!

Cartoonist Al Capp
It really doesn't feel like work yet. I have to be in at ten, which means I was up at 7 a.m. or at least my alarm was. Did you know my phone decides that I can't hit snooze after 7:45. I think it was tired of yelling every five minutes for my ass to get out of bed.

Anywho, that quote is by Alfred Caplin, aka Al Capp, a cartoonist best known for the cartoon Lil Abner. I'd never heard of Al Capp before but I like his style. I hate not working. And I hate applying for unemployment.

My dream job would let me read the hours away. I don't get to read but I do get to do my second favorite thing-- play with animals. I got hired as a Front Desk Clerk at the Charlottesville SPCA. Of course in my dreams of working at the SPCA go like this:

Me, rolling around on the floor with dozens of clean, fluffy retriever puppies that smell adorable and are climbing on me and licking my face. Insert giggles here.

Reality: Me and a shovel cleaning dog poo, walking animals that aren't leash trained, cleaning cat gashes on my arms, and crying over furry babies that won't be able to find a forever home. 

Every job has a down side.

Ultimately I'll be working for a cause I believe in. I'll save animals lives and help people find pets that they will love and hopefully treasure as much as we treasure our Charlie and Gracie. (Yes, Matt named his cat Gracie. In his defense he named her 4 years before we met.)

Off I go, joining the millions of the many, the thankful, employed. Wish me luck.

Love,
Grace

3 comments:

  1. My ideal job would be to read all day too :)

    You are much stronger than me. I cry just watching Animal Cops. No way I could work there and not come home in tears every day because I couldn't bring one home or we had to let one go. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After a few days, I love the job more and more. The hardest part is helping the people who have lost their pets. There is only so much we can do. I keep trying to convince Matt that we need a new kitten or dog. Hmmm. I don't think it's working.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet, I know it was hard when our dog died 2 years ago.

    ReplyDelete