Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Many, The Hopeful, The Unemployed.

The first week of not working is the best. You just left behind days of structural tasks and objectives and are facing days of unending opportunity. I'M FREE! My first week I spent doing what I love to do. Reading. I read approximately 4-5 books in my "free time". To clarify that's time not spent cooking, cleaning and watching Project Runway reruns. I love that show.

The first title I plucked off my shelf was a grab bag goodie from a friend who was giving books away like candy at a veterans parade. Not one to miss the opportunity to test the structural soundness of my library, I rescued many, many books. And I found Jen Lancaster.

Bitter is the New Black has become my handbook for unemployment. While I didn't take a Prada bag to the unemployment office, I actually don't own a Prada bag, I still ache with the need to be self sustaining. It's a blow to your esteem and your ego when you go from being respected in your field to a housewife. Yes, I said housewife. Years of feminist movements and the psyche of the American work ethic (which ironically is dying with our younger generations) creates a hell of an emotional upheaval. I'm left contemplating my self worth when rejection emails flood my inbox and phone calls about interviews go unanswered.

Jen Lancaster is just the thing I need. She's amazing in her ability to be scathingly funny. I mean that. I'm afraid she'll read this and write something about the loser who mentioned her in their blog post. Before I go all hero worship here, she (and my cousin who wouldn't quit harping me) are the reason I'm writing this blog. Because if I don't do something, I'll ultimately be deemed insane. Then my husband will have to put me in a mental institution and some bimbo will come along, whose hotter than me, has big boobs and talks with a sexy lisp, and steal him away. She won't love my dog either. Bitch.

So thanks to Jen. Who truly is an amazing writer and a constant inspiration, I'm writing this blog to stay sane. I can't guarantee anything I write will be in any way useful to you, my readers, but I can hope that it will entertain you.

Love, 
Grace

For those of you who don't know who Jen Lancaster is, educate yourselves.

5 comments:

  1. I know I've told you before but I do love your writing! I hope you find a job soon Gracie and if not, that you get to be one of those lucky ones who makes good money off of their blog. And then you hire your poor friend Shannon to help and she can use her new riches to open that bookstore she's always talked about. Just a thought ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I ever make it big, we'll open a book store together! I'll be the money (wo)man and come drink coffee and write. :)

    I love Jen Lancaster. I think she's a great suggestion for you, if you haven't already picked her up. I'm kinda sad that my local (rural) library is behind on her published works. I was only able to find one more book Bright Lights, Big Ass, so far it's even funnier. <3

    And thanks for the support!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Make sure I get a copy of your First book!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather, if I ever publish, I'll personally hand you a signed copy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you are doing this!!! I love your writing and will check in daily!

    ReplyDelete