Friday, October 21, 2011

A Bit Peculiar

Review of: Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children
Ransom Riggs
Quirk Books, 349 pg.
Hardcover $17.99


Front Cover
Ranson Riggs, writer, film maker, and collector of abandoned photographs is also a New York Times Best Seller. The gold stamp of approval on the cover of his first novel, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, is well deserved. Riggs’ first novel is a hauntingly emotional story filled with enough wonder and peculiarity to keep you entrenched in an otherwise seemingly impossible world.

When I first stumbled upon Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children I loved the cover. It’s black and white and it’s ancient. It’s captivating and it’s intriguing. In other words, it’s creepy. I really like a creepy factor in my books. The cover made interested, the photographs inside sold me the book. Riggs’ amazing collection of “authentic, vintage photographs” is what tethers fantasy to reality.

Back Cover
The story begins when sixteen-year-old Jacob’s life is torn apart with the tragic death of his grandfather. In order to understand the only family he ever loved, Jacob travels to a remote island off the coast of Wales. Upon arrival he discovers a dying sea village, an abandoned house, and the peculiar half truths of his grandfather’s life.

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children is delightfully mystical. Riggs journeys far beyond the mysteries of the supernatural and introduces a world outside the likes of any pagan folklore. While Riggs created this essentially wholesome world of children he also created the monsters that lurk in the darkness. Miss Peregrine’s children are being hunted and they need a hero. In search for the truth to his Grandfather’s life Jacob finds he is on a journey to discover himself.

It’s a wildly creative tale.

The only fault I could find was in the ending. It ended a bit like a young adult novel preparing its reader for the next installment. While it didn’t leave a bitter taste in my mouth it most certainly left me wondering what’s going to happen next.

I hope this isn’t the last we see of this gang of unusual children and their stoic headmistress.  


Love, 
Grace

5 comments:

  1. OKay okay, it's going on the Amazon wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I promise, you won't regret it. The only thing I highly suggest is don't buy it in digital format. It's a book worthy of buying in first edition (I even read a review that said that). The pictures sell it, they make the characters real. I hope you love it as much as I did. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pictures are definitely whats intriguing me

    ReplyDelete
  4. At one point, there is a picture of Emma (page 118) where I had to cover her face with my hand while I finished reading. :)

    ReplyDelete