Thursday, October 27, 2011

The Botticelli Secret

Review of: The Botticelli Secret
Marina Fiorato
St. Martin's Griffin, 514 pg.
Hardcover $14.99
 
A strong female lead,  a pinch of murder, a dash of treason, marinate it with a twisted plot and top it with a secret as big as The Da Vinci Code. Viola, you have The Botticelli Secret.

I adore historical fiction. I began my secret love affair with this genre when I first read The Other Boleyn Girl my senior year of high school. Oh Phillipa Gregory, how you make my heart go pitter-patter. While Gregory prefers England and it's proper monarchy, Marina Fiorato, a "half-Venetian" herself, prefers the romantic setting of Renaissance Italy.  It's a journey worth taking.

By: Marina Fiorato
If you love, The Da Vinci Code, don't compare it to The Botticelli Secret. While it isn't a New York Times best seller, it is one great read. I thoroughly enjoyed Fiorato's use of Italy's tumultuous history and her characters. Much like other historical fiction novels the main character, Lucianna, is intriguingly weaved into the fabrics of time and history.

Summary:
When Lucianna's best client asks her to pose as a model for Sandro Bottecelli's painting La Primavera she agrees. Surprised at Bottecelli's talent, she is equally surprised when he walks out and refuses to pay her. In a moment of anger Lucianna swipes a miniature of the art work. Immediately people around her are being assassinated. In an attempt to save her life she goes to the only person who can help her. Guido della Torre, a novice monk and the only man she couldn't entice. Together they flee the city and try to solve the mystery of the Botticelli painting before their enemies do.

If you like historical fiction, romance, or are even in the market for a fun read, The Botticelli Secret is for you.

"An intriguing mix of history, mystery, art, music, poetry, romance, and politics... Writing with charm and authenticity, Fiorato produces a blend of historical mystery and modern romance that is thoroughly entertaining." -Booklist

Love,
Grace

5 comments:

  1. When everyone else was reading Harry Potter and Narnia, I was reading historical fiction. I have loved those books since elementary school. The American Girl and Dear America Series were my favorites; I'd check several books out at a time from the library. I LOVE The Other Boleyn girl too! I read it sometime during high school, as well as The Queen's Fool. My current favorite author, Lauren Willig, mixes two stories together in her books, one current, one historical. Love it!

    That book sounds interesting! I might have to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also read Harry Potter and Narnia, several, several times. GUILTY! But you're right, historical fiction isn't a genre you read in high school unless you're a big book nerd. I plead the fifth. I adore Phillipa Gregory. I haven't disliked anything I've picked up with her name on it. I've never heard of Lauren Willig. You can bet that I've added her to my reading list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since then of course I have read both series but it definitely didn't happen until I was in my 20s! Lauren Willig is AMAZING! Ugh I love her books and got Sarah B. hooked as well! They are the story of a girl doing her thesis research in England and then the story of the people she's researching. There's spies and Napoleon and they make me laugh. Plus in my head one character speaks like Alan Rickman/Snape. The first book is The Secret History of the Pink Carnation but my favorite is the second, The Masque of the Black Tulip. There's 8 in total with the 9th coming out in February.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the new layout and I hope you know I am making a list of books to pick up next time I hit the library haha :)

    Shannon I remember always talking about the princess diaries in 7th/8th grade :D I loved them too!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grace, if you love historical fiction, try reading an old series - God Is An Englishman by R.F. Delderfield. Wonderful series that I love to read every year or two. I'm going to have to pick this one up - sounds interesting! ----Sandy

    ReplyDelete